About Payables Workflow
NOTE: Each API call requires a session ID (generated with Login API request).
The payables workflow is the Bill.com process to make payments to vendors. Bill.com provides a system to easily send payments to these vendors.
There are two prerequisites that must exist within your Bill.com account.
Create the Vendor in your Bill.com account. This is the entity (person or organization) to whom the funds will be paid. Each vendor is created once. As needed, the vendor details can be updated.
When goods and/or services are provided to your organization, the vendor will send a statement that provides information and amounts due. When received, use the Bill API to enter the details, the amounts, and how these are charged to various accounts.
Vendor and Bill details can be entered into the Bill.com system in several ways:
- Direct entry into the Bill.com UI.
- API call
- Sync with accounting software
- Import with CSV file.Routine process
The payables workflow starts when the vendor's bill is entered into your Bill.com account.
- (required) As needed, create the Vendor.
- (required) Enter the vendor's Bill. If the vendor submits bills that occur on a regular schedule for a set amount, use the RecurringBill API to automatically create the bill in your Bill.com account.
- (optional) If there are any Attachments (supporting documents), these are managed in the Bill.com account via Inbox.
- (optional) If applicable, use VendCredit call to enter vendor credits (against specific bills or a general credit).
- (optional) If your organization has an approval policy to review bills and vendor credits, use the Approval Workflow (also see Approval APIs)
NOTE: If a bill is routed for approval, any user with "Pay unapproved bills via Bill.com " permissions can bypass approval to pay bills.
- (required) To make a payment through Bill.com (or record offline payment):
- (optional) As needed, use the List call (credits, bills, vendors, etc.) to return details.
There are several ways you can pay a Vendor:
- Via Check - by default, checks are sent to vendor's address. Check payments require the vendor's address parameters. If not available, an error will be returned.
- Set up ePayments via UI - below are options to manage this via API.
- Connect to Large Billers network - these are large national corporations (i.e., utilities, insurance, credit cards, etc.) that can be connected to your Bill.com account.
- Connect to Bill.com network. - link to organizations already within the Bill.com network - or you can invite them to join for free by SendVendorInvite.
- Select partners can use VendorBankAccount to add vendor bank account information via API.
Cancel/void payment options
If needed,these API calls can be used recover from a incorrect transaction or an operational error.
- CancelAPPayment - this cancels a scheduled payment.
- VoidAPPayment - this will attempt to void a processed payment